WHAT IS PANS?
PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome) is the latest catch phrase describing a dynamic pathology that we’ve been effectively treating for over 20 years.
Generally, there is a trigger, an event where the child has “Never Been Well Since” (NBWS). This can be an infectious event like a streptococcal infection, a vaccine, a physical trauma like an accident or an emotional event like the death of a loved one or the loss of a friend.
To the parent, it feels as if their child is forever changed. It can feel as overt as having a stranger in their home, an outpatient from a mental institution or as subtle as just the feeling that something isn’t quite right. It is clear that their tune has changed and they’re no longer navigating their world in the same way.
Physical or mental Symptoms can show up for both PANS or PANDAS as:
- OCD, compulsions and/or obsessions
- Personality Shifts
- Decline in motor coordination
- Changes in Handwriting
- Sudden Eating Restrictions
- Sensory Issues
- Irritability and/or bouts of anger/rages
- Developmental regression (ie. cognitive capacities)
- Sleep disturbances
- Involuntary urination and/or increased frequency
THE PANS “working” CRITERIA as per Dr. Swedo (the founder of the PANS/PANDA label):
- Abrupt, dramatic onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder or severely restricted food intake.
- Concurrent presence of additional neuropsychiatric symptoms, with similarly severe and acute onset, from at least two of the following seven categories:
- Emotional lability and/or depression
- Irritability, aggression and/or severely oppositional behaviors
- Behavioral (developmental) regression
- Deterioration in school performance
- Sensory or motor abnormalities
- Somatic signs and symptoms, including sleep disturbances, enuresis or urinary frequency
- Symptoms are not better explained by a known neurologic or medical disorder, such as Sydenham chorea, systemic lupus erythematosus, Tourette disorder or others.
While many parents and their practitioners often feel like they’re roaming around in the diagnostic dark without any hope of a flashlight. In our world of Heilkunst Medicine, the diagnosis (seeing through knowing) really isn’t of much use if the cure is also not known.
Check out these resources on diagnosis here:
CAUSE of PANS/PANDAS and how we treat it using Heilkunst principles (including the sequential timeline, detox protocols, nutrition and the Genetic Miasms):
There are 8 genetic roots and PANS/PANDAS are anchored predominantly to 3 of them; Medhorrinum (Gonorrhea), Carcinosin (Cancer), and Syphilis. Scary diagnosis only if you’re stuck with these issues and can’t address them. See here:
Once the timeline is mopped up and the Genetic Miasms dealt with, the symptoms don’t have anchors to cling to anymore. You see the trauma, whether bacterial, physical or emotional only angered the deeper issues at the human core forth, spawning symptoms.
The problem with allopathy medicine is that it is stuck in the material, mechanistic paradigm, so it doesn’t have the resources to cope with trauma and its relationship to physical/mental pathology. This is where Heilkunst shines and why we have the highest cure rate in the realm of the chronic symptoms with so called mysterious etiologies. Bring your suffering kids … my kid was once one too: