90 Day Regimen Breakthrough – Week 12
“Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?”
“Because it’s there”
Almost every teaching about regimen (and nutrition in particular) is an example of “pathic” regimen – how to select and prepare foods in a way which are the most nutritious, and have the lowest “cost” to your body’s energy. In other words, the question of pathic regimen is how much can you “take” from your regimen, while minimizing what you have to “give” in order to get it.
“Tonic” regimen, on the other hand, has a very different objective – it is to strengthen, tone, or expand some aspect or function of yourself, through the act of overcoming something which may normally be toxic, or otherwise “bad” for you (or at least “difficult”). Think of the example of your immune system which is increased when you successfully overcome an infection. This is the core idea behind immunization.
Tonic regimen applies not only to what you physically ingest (nutrition, germs, etc.), but also to what kind of resonant challenges you undertake in life for the purposes of growth and expansion. Tonic regimen is what you do to you push yourself to the next plateau, while pathic regimen is what keeps you sustained and in balance.
Some examples of tonic regimen include:
- Michel Lotito (“Monseiur MangeTout”) – Performer whose claim to fame was consuming inedible objects, including 9 tonnes of metal in his life, as well as rubber, and glass. He completely ate a Cesna 150 airplane!
- King Mithridate – Systematically consuming increasing doses of poison over the years to build up his resistance. [See The Princess Bride movie clip below as an artistic portrayal of this]. Also, think of the modern example of what happens to children who live in increasingly sanitized environments, and become so much more susceptible to having allergies and asthma.
- Homeopathic “Provings” – Dr. Hahnemann’s procedure of systematically ingesting poisonous medicinal substances to catalogue their exact effects, so that they could later be consciously applied as curative medicines to disease of a similar picture.
- The principle of homoprophylaxis (immunization) – Overcoming a pathogen or microbe, in order to gain lifelong immunity to it. The exact same principle is also effective for challenges of an emotional or spiritual nature.
- Supersize Me – Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock documented what happened to him as he ate only what he could buy off of the McDonald’s menu for 30 days.
This week’s video on Tonic Regimen:
Your homework from this module:
- Does your current level of health require you to focus almost entirely on pathic regimen, or do you have some leeway to push your boundaries?
- What forms of tonic regimen do you, or could you engage in to further expand yourself at different levels?
- What resonant life challenge could you tackle that would cause you to grow or expand?
You ca read my blog post on tonic regimen here.
Scene from The Princess Bride:
The extreme expression of tonic regimen – Michel Lotito (“Mr. Eats It All”)
The theme song for pathic regimen:
Supersize Me Trailer: