A lot of my patients ask me, “What can I do to strengthen my Immune System?” Great question. We’ve been immersed in this question, so often, that we’ve even written books and articles on the subject. You’ll find links for these at the end of this blog.
- Eat Well! Loading up on organic vegetables so that they’re 75% of your daily intake is brilliant. Fruits, while rife with vitamin C can be very high in glycemic index. Keep them at about 5% of your total diet. Organic sources of protein, including nuts, seeds organ meats and bone broths are a great way to keep your immune system whole and hale. They should be around 15% of your daily intake. Only 5% should be whole carbohydrates like whole grain rice or ezekiel or sprouted bread. Here’s how to live on organic food more cheaply: https://arcanum.ca/2019/01/28/living-organic-on-the-cheap/. Also, fermented foods added to your diet are amazing for upping the ante on your immune system’s functioning. See here: https://arcanum.ca/2016/01/22/10-reasons-to-eat-more-fermented-foods-2/
- Drink alkaline water! Drink between 2.5 and 3 litres of alkaline water dialed up above 7.2 pH. We recommend fresh, clean well water, Fiji water, Eska water, Nikken Water, and Kangen water only because we’ve researched these sources in the past and can recommend them. You may have found others. While we mostly bring our purified water in stainless steel containers, occasionally we end up using bottled water in rare cases. Often folks will ask, does my coffee count as water? See here for the answer: https://arcanum.ca/2018/11/08/water-tastes-boring-does-my-coffee-count-towards-hydration/
- Regular exercise that respects your blood type. It’s important to incorporate regular movement into your regimen for your health and overall well-being. Here’s some suggestions for shorter, more concentrated movements that respect your typology: https://arcanum.ca/2015/03/05/what-is-my-ideal-exercise-program-for-my-blood-type/ Also, P.A.C.E. or Peak 8 is recommended if you’re a “B” or “O” Blood Type. See here: https://arcanum.ca/2012/05/17/exercise-for-your-upper-being-p-a-c-e-or-peak-8/ Weight bearing exercises for all blood types is best following the principles of “Slow Burn.” See here: https://arcanum.ca/2012/05/16/exercise-for-your-nether-being-slow-burn/
- Get 8-9 Hours of Restorative Sleep per night. Needing help with sleep is sometimes required, no matter if you’re a babe in arms or adult. Quite often, patients are low in magnesium and can easily aid sleep by bathing in epsom salts with a few drops of lavender essential oil before bed. Hormones like Melatonin should be used only in rare instances, and 10 days in a row at the most given that your body will stop producing its own melatonin naturally if supplemented too regularly. Here’s some other options: https://arcanum.ca/2015/10/05/sleep-baby-sleep/
- Good day Sunshine! How much sunlight are you getting? Ideally a half hour or more several times a week? No? Ok, then on the days you have to hibernate, add about 2,000 IU’s of Vitamin D3 to your regimen. If you’re dosing for a child, it’s 1,000 IU’s. If a baby, then 500 IU’s. Vitamin D3 isn’t actually a vitamin, but a hormone and isn’t just about strong bones anymore. We know that cellular metabolism and an improved state of mind is correlated with regular Vit D3 intake.
- Cod Liver Oil is another good one to introduce in the Fall for increased immune function. It’s full of Vitamin A which is good for eye health, but also has benefits for heart, joint, and reduces the chances for heart disease. See here: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-benefits-of-cod-liver-oil#section3
- Zinc is stellar for sore throats but it’s also great for memory, wound healing, general immune functioning, skin health, attention deficits and prevention of pneumonia. See here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263176.php#benefits
- Vitamin C as an immune function supplement has been around forever. It helps increase your white blood cell count which is why it’s been such a powerhouse for increasing your immune function. It’s also crucial for preventing iron deficiencies, treats tissue damage, removes uric acid associated with gout and is a preventer of heart disease. See here: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-c-benefits#section3
- Vitamin B Complex is wonderful for additional energy in the winter months when we start to drag our feet around February and March. Vitamin B’s are also stellar for good eyesight, healthy cell metabolism and increase in red blood cells, brain function, digestion, hormone regulation and ease in digestion. See here: https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/vitamin-b-complex#benefits
- State of Mind. This aspect of health is not always discussed but it is as important as regimen for one’s overall health and well-being. Be sure to get out regularly, visit friends, go to a movie or a show, or go for a yoga class. We do ‘Yoga with Adriene’ on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene Journalling, drawing, reading a favorite self-help book, going for a walk, reading or writing poetry, taking an art class or enjoying some cross country skiing can all help with your state of mind. What about doing a binaural beat meditation on Youtube to help with your state of mind? Here’s one we recommend for creating more positive energy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PMa5AecnLs
- Detox from your emotional and physical traumas using Heilkunst sequential homeopathy. Ok, so this is the opportunity to plug our clinic, but after almost 20 years of practice, do you know how often I hear folks tell us that they no longer pick up viruses that are going around as a result of addressing their traumatic timeline or Genetic Miasms? Don’t take my word for it, here’s what our patients say: https://arcanum.ca/about/testimonials/
Our hope is that these few recommendations help you to up your immune system for this winter. As you can guess, these supplements or approaches to regimen are in no way a replacement for medical care in cases of chronic disease. See your trusted medical practitioner for more serious long-term issues as these could be markers for deeper, more serious issues.
Let us know in the comments if there is anything else you’d like to see discussed in this article and we’ll see about adding it to help you and others. Here’s to your year-round health!
Natural Home Pharmacy for Children
The Physician’s Home Pharmacy
HP (Homoprophylaxis) and How to Get Your “Green Vaccines”
What Does It Mean to Have a Healthy, Well-Functioning Immune System, and Where Can You Get Yours?
The Immune System : Polarities Within Polarities
10 Reasons To Eat More Fermented Foods